1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?
Stayed in a lighthouse
Did a front handspring
Went diving in a sunken volcano (still creeps me out thinking about it)
Saw an opera at Kennedy Center
Climbed inside a supposedly inactive volcano (surprisingly, this was in California, not Hawaii)
Snorkeled with turtles
Lived out of a VW camper for a week
Ate real Hawaiian shaved ice
Went on a real backpacking trip
Made friends with random people on the backpacking trip (I guess pigs do fly)
Moved in with a significant other
Had my first (and hopefully not last) Bartel’s burger
Picked apples straight from the tree…something that still amazes me for some weird reason
Watched a company (mine) go bankrupt
Voted for a non-white president
Yosemite in winter
Watched the sun rise at the top of Haleakala, while listening to someone singing a native sun god song. very very cool.
Went to Napa in a limo. Puked on the side of the road.
2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
My new years resolution this year is so cliche, but I really need to lose the blub Ive been packing on for the past 2 yrs
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Giselle and another friend of mine. About 10 more people are due next year. Baby season.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
not this year
5. What countries did you visit?
Canada, if that counts, although Hawaii seems more like a different country from the US than Canada. Whatevs.
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
My Kindle to finally ship. I’m keeping it simple this year.
7. What date from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
June 1 or 2 — when I moved out of the old house, roomie breakup, moved in with the bf
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Plotting my escape from the old job with such perfect timing. The exact moment that my company declared bankruptcy, was the exact moment that I called the recruiter at my current job to accept the job that I have now.
Also, doing a handstand was a major achievement in my eyes. Something I’ve always wanted to do.
9. What was your biggest failure?
I really realized this year that I totally sweat the small stuff. And because I OCD over small details, I totally cannot let the smallest, inconsequential things, go. I hate that about myself.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
not really, altho I always get a bit depressed around my bday
11. What was the best thing you bought?
NG bought me my Nintendo DS, and I bought my CycloDS. Awesomeness.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Don’t puke, but NG. He gave up everything in DC to be with me. And after all that we’ve been through this year, he has always been there for me at the end of the day.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
My old roomies. My old, flaky friend and his stupid drama.
All my ‘friends’ on facebook that announce major life events using the status updates options, rather than call and tell you that, for example, they are engaged or having a baby, etc. It’s a new low for human interaction, and one that I willingly succumb to.
And the stupid admins that I work who do not frickin’ know Microsoft Office programs…or how to zip files. I can’t make this stuff up, people.
14. Where did most of your money go?
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Starting a new chapter of my life with NG, mini-weekend vacations, finding out-of-the way hole-in-the-wall eateries, re-exploring Cali with NG
16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
I’m Yours – Jason Mraz (this was on repeat in Hawaii–that, and the Izze song are the only 2 songs Hawaii must know)
Better Together – Jack Johnson
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? I think happier. Trying not to be so emo this year
ii. thinner or fatter? FATTER
iii. richer or poorer? richer
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Wish I saw more of my family and old friends
Yoga (or any form of exercise)
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Eat (these 2 things are hand-in-hand for me)
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
Back in Houston, with family
21. Did you fall in love in 2008?
I think I’m understanding “love” a little more the older I get
23. How many one-night stands?
I’m too old
24. What was your favourite TV program?
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
No, not really. The people who I find exceedingly annoying or stupid actually make me laugh in a dark humor sort of way. I like monitoring them like a science experiment. And I love making fun of them in a catty bitch sort of way that I find amusing.
26. What was the best book you read?
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
When we were in the backcountry at Bearpaw, we met a musician who lived way up in the mountains. He helped with the cooking etc and would play his guitar/write music. We bought his cd. Crap, now I forgot his name…I’ll update later with his name.
28. What did you want and get?
Finally being together after doing LD for a year
Our house (well its not really ours, but we had to fight a lot of people to get it)
29. What did you want and not get?
My stupid kindle. Technically I have it, but they are backed up thanks to Oprah’s stupid christmas show where she said how much she loved the Kindle. Damn you, Oprah.
30. What was your favourite film of this year?
Kung Fu Panda? I really don’t remember any movies I saw this year. Wait, I remember one: Wall-E.
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
31–played hooky with NG. We spent the day together eating pastries, drinking coffee, visiting the science academy, watching the planets align, and then having sushi in half moon bay
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
If I had won the lottery. Actually, if I had had better relationships with people that I care about, I think I would have been less angsty.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2006?
Mary-Kate and Ashley homeless person look
34. What kept you sane?
Having someone to come home to after a shitty day. Writing. Dishing dirt with the Canadian.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I enjoyed the political race this year, but I don’t fancy any of the people running, per se.
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
37. Who did you miss?
My family and friends. I wish we were closer geographically. I wish we had more time together.
38. Who was the best new person you met?
Molly – my kindred spirit
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008:
Who cares? I have been quoting that stupid ‘Who Cares‘ clock a lot