1. What did you do in 2006 that you’d never done before?
Made a point to travel alone
Scanned in and out for work (like punching in and out but w/a barcode to keep track of time) — who the fuck does that people? who?
Totally and completely lied about my age…
Told my boss off
Ziplined through the rain forest
Got a cat. Weird.
Camped in the Grand Canyon
Attended the Rose Bowl/Nat’l Championship game. HOOK EM
Flew on a trapeze
Gave a eulogy
2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I really don’t even remember if I had resolutions. I’m sure one of them involved getting in shape, which I sorta did. And Im sure another was to travel more. Check. And quitting my job. Also did that.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
No but all my friends are pregnant it seems. Can’t wait to never see them again.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
6. What would you like to have in 2007 that you lacked in 2006?
couple boy toys on rotation
those nike/ipod shoes
cush job with lots of vacation
billionaire boyfriend who i dont have to ever see but who finances all my travels
7. What date from 2006 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
October 15. 6:33 am.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Getting through the fucking year.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Being annoyed all the time. Actually, I wish I had dicked my ex-boss over more. But the so-called “Perfect Storm” — where we orchestrated 3 people on her team leaving in 3 weeks – was pretty sweet. I should have given her 1 day notice.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Ankle injury as a result of a very drunken night in DC
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Plane ticket to Vegas
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My friends. A lot that I had written off. A lot who stepped up when they didnt have to.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
DJ and Miss M. Miss M was a given flake, so whatever, but DJ is dead to me. I hope he enjoys his pathetic life in his “beautiful loft” in Oakland with is codependent girlfriend.
Also–to a way lesser extent–my ex-bf fucking came out of nowhere and went ballistic bc I didnt thank him for a postcard he sent in the time frame he wanted. Um, yeah. Get over yourself dude. Completely insensitive especially given the time he chose to go crazy.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Clothes I don’t need.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Honestly, didn’t get too excited about much this year. But I will admit, 22yr olds are pretty exciting.
16. What song will always remind you of 2006?
Did that fucking Gnarles Barkley song come out this year?
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? I don’t know to be honest.
ii. thinner or fatter? Thinner
iii. richer or poorer? About the same
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
gone home to see my family
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
worry about work
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
Spent an early Christmas on my dad’s bday in Houston with my family, opening gifts my dad had already bought and wrapped for us. Real Xmas was spent cooking/eating/drinking w/my sis and her bf. And Sabine.
21. Did you fall in love in 2006?
Honestly, I’m not capable of love right now. I don’t want to have a needy emotionally charged relationship, which I’m sure would happen bc of the whole dad dying thing. I’d just rather not.
23. How many one-night stands?
Uh…it wasn’t like that. I swear.
24. What was your favourite TV program?
Gay shit like So You Think You Can Dance. The Office. Heroes (nerdy). Men in Trees (guilty pleasure). Ugly Betty. Friday Night Lights is doable. I watch too much tv.
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Yeah. My psycho ex-boss–Dutch Boy. The bitch we call “black widow.” And i have an extreme and utter disrespect for DJ.
26. What was the best book you read?
The Glass Castle. I’ve read a shitload of books this year, but that one really stood out bc it hit close to home.
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I never can think of this. Wasn’t too adventurous in the musical dept, altho I will admit I liked The Muse when they played at Downloadfest. Goldspot, maybe?
28. What did you want and get?
this book on the fairy castle in chicago
dvd player – welcome to the 21st century
sirius — altho by default
mini-trips to grand canyon/chicago/etc
29. What did you want and not get?
snowboard rack. I keep telling myself Im going to get one every year.
30. What was your favourite film of this year?
Stranger than Fiction was pretty good.
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
21 FINALLY! Usual Hipster night…followed by girls night in Vegas.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Besides the obvious…I guess a job I really cared about. At least I dont work in a hellhole anymore.
If I started my fucking book like I always keep talking about.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2006?
Borderline hipster…what have I become?
34. What kept you sane?
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
The shift towards the Democratic party…fascinating.
37. Who did you miss?
A lot of friends who came out of the woodwork to offer condolences…I had forgot how much they meant to me.
38. Who was the best new person you met?
Dave Chapelle on his rascal
and my coworker is pretty cool too.
and of course…Spike. Hehehehe.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2006:
Fuck what everyone thinks. Have fun. Period.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
I have two. A quote:
If our friendship depends on things like space and time,
then we have already destroyed our brotherhood.
But overcome space and all you have is here;
Overcome time and all you have is now.
And in the middle of here and now
Don’t you think we might see each other once or twice…”
–Jonathan Livingston Seagull
And a song lyric:
So this is odd,
The painful realization
That has all gone wrong.
And nobody cares at all,
And nobody cares at all.
And the picture frames are facing down
and the ringing from this empty sound
Is deafening and keeping you from sleep.
And breathing is a foreign task
and thinking is just too much to ask
And you’re measuring your
Minutes by a clock that’s blinking Eights.
(excerpted from “The Brilliant Dance”)